Please log in or register.
Please log in or register.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sound Proofing

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MrSloanes
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
MrSloanes

Scrubs : 291

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 1:46 am

So basically im already sick of hearing the fking compressor from my air system so im looking into sound proofing the boot area. I have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer.

Firstly i know of DynaMat or whatever which is fairly expensive but is there anything else that works near enough just as well thats not so expensive?

Secondly, can i sound proof the floor beneath and around the compressor etc as its also loud from the outside of the car and id prefer it to be a lot quieter if im honest or if i cant what other options do i have to make it a tad more quiet?

Cheers in advance people Smile
Back to top Go down
http://dubascrub.co.uk
DaveTrundley
Forum Furniture
Forum Furniture
DaveTrundley

Scrubs : 109

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 2:51 am

Egg boxes..... Loads of egg boxes glued to the inside of your boot :p
Back to top Go down
MrSloanes
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
MrSloanes

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2013 2:53 am

lol.....

forgot to mention that the reason im asking if i can soundproof around the compressor etc etc is im wondering will it overheat with the added layers if im covering the boot floor and underside of boot carpet in it?
Back to top Go down
AndyP
AndyP

Scrubs : 13

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 9:26 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACOUSTIC-FOAM-TREATMENT-SOUND-PROOFING-24-TILES-/160903322661?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL&hash=item257695dc25

Get some of that or something similar, its what i used and you cant hear my compressor outside at all, and inside its very quiet
Back to top Go down
DaveTrundley
Forum Furniture
Forum Furniture
DaveTrundley

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 am

Highly doubt it will overheat. Have you ever heard if this being an issue before? You wont always be running it also unless you keep moving height while driving all the time and i cant see why you would. It should be fine in respect of overheating. Do your compressors have any sort ofcooler or fan in them? If not the. I wud think there is no reason to have them if they arent ther and air ride tanks are tiny anyway so its not working hard. Also most compressors have a shutoff feature to prevent overheating if they start to get too hot from prolonged use
Back to top Go down
Lee1092
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Lee1092

Scrubs : 74

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 5:22 pm

What Andy said, wouldn't even bother with dynamat as it does nothing with compressor
Back to top Go down
MrSloanes
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
MrSloanes

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 6:56 pm

sweet so i just whack that on the underside of my floormat?
Back to top Go down
AndyP
AndyP

Scrubs : 13

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Basically yeah! The more you use the quieter it gets

I havent seen your install so its hard to say, but basically try surround the compressor with the stuff so as little noise escapes as possible!
I'll show you what we've done on mine next time i see you Smile
Back to top Go down
MrSloanes
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
MrSloanes

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 7:38 pm

Champion, i was worried about surrounding the compressor as i thought it may overheat when its running. It runs for quite a while as the tank still has a slow leak so from 150 psi it drops to around 25psi by the time i get in the car on a morning like.
Back to top Go down
DaveTrundley
Forum Furniture
Forum Furniture
DaveTrundley

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Why and where is you tank leaking from?
Back to top Go down
Lee1092
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Lee1092

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Best bet would be to take your compressor off the metal work, foam all the spare wheel well and place a bit of wood down, not screwed down, with the compressor mounted to the wood. That's what andys is, and his is silent

The fact yours is screwed to the metal is why it's so loud

His tanks leaking from a blank fitting, I've tried to redo it 3 times and can't get it to seal!
Back to top Go down
MrSloanes
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
MrSloanes

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Cool cheers Lee, ill have a look at Andy's next time and see which way his is done
Back to top Go down
pandapolo
Forum Furniture
Forum Furniture
pandapolo

Scrubs : 146

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 9:44 pm

I'd mount your compressor using rubber mounts (much like an engine mount)
The reason it's noisy is because it'll be resonating through the metal, rubber mounts would stop this.
Back to top Go down
DaveTrundley
Forum Furniture
Forum Furniture
DaveTrundley

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 10:16 pm

Try more ptfe tape or put some jointing paste/gasket seal on the plug before you tighten it in. Coukd also try sticking a dowty on it or using brass fittings.
Back to top Go down
Lee1092
Loyal Member
Loyal Member
Lee1092

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2013 11:14 pm

The way Andys is done is the quietest you'll ever get it

Tried the ptfe tape dave, my mates getting me some shit they use on the trucks that's £60 a tub to try out, if it works ill use it on sloanses
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sound Proofing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sound Proofing   Sound Proofing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sound Proofing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Help & Support :: Technical Help-
Jump to: